Monday, January 28, 2008

Dog Run News

by, Roberta Bayley

Sunday night I saw the perfect acceptance speech at the SAG Awards from my new heart throb Javier Bardem. He looked great, spoke clearly, and remembered to thank his fellow nominees - almost no one else did! If Javier and Penelope Cruz decide to procreate, it will be the greatest gene pool since Catherine Deneuve and Marcello Mastroianni spawned Chiara.
Larry would like to register a formal complaint regarding the term Outsider Art. The concept is one of his pet peeves. "I mean, what does it mean?" he fumed, "That you're not a white male? Don't get me wrong", he continued, "I love folk art, I think that it's great, but why do they have to call it Outsider Art? Just because a black person did it? I don't get it." [Disclosure: Larry is a white male.]

The New York Times is on Larry's side (I think). "Some people think the label 'outsider artist' should be retired", wrote Ken Johnson on Friday. "Why does it matter whether an artist is self-taught, mentally impaired or deranged? Perhaps there should be an independent agency to certify artists as authentic outsiders." Larry will undoubtedly not have time to be a part of that agency - maybe as a consultant? And where does Kim stand on all this? We know she collects outsider art, but then let's be honest, she collects all of her friend's art and the vast majority of them would certainly qualify as deranged. It's a complex issue, and one we will explore more deeply. Maybe in 2009.

While I am working with the scientists on "I Can't Believe It's not Tuna!", some of you have been asking "Well, what fish can I safely eat?" Here a simple link on the subject:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/31/dining/31fbox.html

That list is based on which fish are healthy to eat. As far as which fish are environmentally sound to eat (i.e. not over-fished or in danger of extinction), you will need another list:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=1521
Here is a chart telling you how often it is safe to eat environmentally sound fish:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/page.cfm?tagID=17694
I think the trick is to find a few fish you enjoy eating and stick with them. Confession: I had a tuna sandwich yesterday.

Doug and Narelle have progressed in their battle against jet lag and Return From Paradise Syndrome and are waking up at 9:45 instead of 2:30. Perhaps if they master Mapquest, they may even find the new Dog Run one day. Doug weighs in on "Diving Bell & The Butterflyl" a film both Kim and I thought was wonderful, if a tad dark:

we saw "the diving bell" yesterday. that's pretty extraordinary. amazing imagery, colours, and textures. the way it's been shot with ultra shallow depth of field from his p.o.v contrasted with vast tableaux for the outdoor shots should win the d.p an oscar. the acting by almaric and the girls is excellent, and the story very very deftly handled by julian schnabel (considering basquiat). best film of the year hands down. glad that i saw it because it's really much better and tighter than oscar faves "there will be blood" or "no country" which will no doubt win everything by default. daniel day lewis possibly the exception.

That's all for today, my friends. Be well.
Sidney & Roberta

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mad cow from beef. Mercury in tuna. Maybe it's time for us all to go vegan.

Anonymous said...

I am loving our blog. Adding my 2 cents - I think the term "outsider art" may have been coined by the art academic industry, and I do mean industry rather then community, to make us artists feel that we can only be accomplished artist with a degree. I have bought into this myself and though I enjoyed my education I will unfortunately continue to pay house mortgage size tuition loan payments for another 10 years which slows me down at other things in life. I think it is a term that should be done away with too!
Amelia

Anonymous said...

I meant to type YOUR blog

I am loving your blog. Adding my 2 cents - I think the term "outsider art" may have been coined by the art academic industry, and I do mean industry rather then community, to make us artists feel that we can only be accomplished artist with a degree. I have bought into this myself and though I enjoyed my education I will unfortunately continue to pay house mortgage size tuition loan payments for another 10 years which slows me down at other things in life. I think it is a term that should be done away with too!
Amelia