Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring is here, I hear...

Why doesn't my heart go dancing? (For those vast numbers of you who are "young" , this is a reference to a Rogers & Hart song which I first heard at the tender age of 8 on my mother's copy of Frank Sinatra's album "Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely". Like you care).

Anyway, Easter came and went with nary an appearance of significant numbers. Rags and James took pity on me and came by to ask me to sing songs from "Hair" of which I knew none. All of the songs I thought were from "Hair" were from "Jesus Christ Superstar". Where is Dr. Bob when you need him? I never saw either of these shows, although I did have sex with the actor who played Jesus in the "Jesus Christ Superstar" movie, Teddy Neely. He was HOT.

Then Rags wanted me to sing "I Will Always Love You" which he called a "Whitney Houston song". Not. It is a Dolly Parton song. And Rags calls himself a gay - ha! And then when I proceeded to sing the chorus of said song, I was reprimanded that it wasn't the song! Okay so I'm no Celine Dion with a 18 octave range, but I know my Dolly Parton. Luckily as we were leaving, who should arrive but an ACTUAL singer: Jamie Leonhart, possessor of multiple octaves, an artist with many CDs and sold out shows at Joe's Pub. Not only did Jamie sing the chorus of the song, she knew the VERSE. Major.

Monday was good. I had an idea for teaching everyone in the run Yiddish. My proposals is to take one word each day, have Larry (or another Jew) define it, and then we would go around in a circle and each if us would use the word in a sentence.

Unfortunately the first word (chosen by Rags) was "moil" (moyle?). A moil is the Rabbi who performs circumcisions) (I can't even spell it, let alone condone it). Now, sorry, but to me this isn't a word that is going to come up much in everyday conversation. But what the hell, we tried. My sentence was "I don't think I'll have much use for a moil in my lifetime", which is true but doesn't really give a sense of the meaning of the word. While Berlin was chasing his tail (and catching it) John ventured a sentence, but I felt my whole idea was being ruined.

Then Rags suggested ungepachaka, which is like going over the top, laying it on too thick. Rags relates it to Ralph Lauren, he's ungepachaka apparently. As a goyim (that is probably ungrammatical) it was all too much for me. Larry and I discussed going to see Jackie Mason's "The Ultimate Jew" on Broaoday as a group and found tickets online for $38. There's an old folks matinee at 2 p.m. so I might actually be able to fit that in. We could go as a an educational group, maybe there's an extra discount for that? Anyway, we will be starting the Yiddish Acquisition Program in earnest when the weather's better. No need to register, no tuition. I figure by summer we'll all be speaking Yiddish.

Laura is back from Hawaii, in shock. Jessica has disappeared into her Uptown World for now. Beth (Dugan's mom) has a bad haircut and will be staying away for awhile. Ken and Hershey drop in as always before work. Claudia hold court as always, as she prepares for the Pulse Art fair. Bald Tango flits about, Zeus entices George into play just when Trish wants to leave. Riley, our young friend from Portland came back to NYC but then had to go to L.A. We hope he will be back.

That's all for now folks!

Sidney & Roberta

No comments: