Saturday, March 22, 2008

Where the hell is everybody? Saturday March 22, 2008

Sidney and I arrived at the run at 8 a.m. and by 9 a.m. we were still the only ones there. Did we miss the memo? Finally Sunny & Nene showed up, Nene wearing his own sophisticated take on the Burberry plaid craze of the 90s, you know, really putting his own spin on it. The Other Larry (Becky's dad) showed up briefly. And that was it. We did see one of the strangest dogs we know: Harley, a boxer pug mix. As Larry commented "He got the worst of each breed!". Weird. You had to see it. Really kind of sad in a way, though of course I'm sure the parents love him just as they would a "normal" dog.

Friday I went to lunch at Momofuku SSam Bar, the highly touted restaurant on 2nd Avenue and 13th Street. The restaurant's 26 year old chef David Chang is the subject of a long profile in this week's New Yorker. Chang is opening his third restaurant, Ko, any minute, his first being the wildly successful Momofuku Noodle Bar. I had one of the best food items here that I have ever eaten anywhere: Diver Sea Scallops from the raw bar with nori, pickled cherries, lemon and something I don't know what, it was so exquisite! I also had Fried Brussel Sprouts with chilies, mint and fish sauce, which had the moist concentrated garlic flavor I've ever tasted. As Rachel Ray would say: "De-lish!". Mainly they deal with pork - pork buns, country hams from 4 states, pork belly, pork sausage and whole pork butt (are you salivating yet, Bob & Larry?) but there are 5 choices on the Raw Bar, including Wild Striped Bass, Cured Hamachi, Beau Soliel Oysters and Jonah Crab Claws, and some chicken things. I was sure it would be packed, but at 3 p.m. it was half empty and filled with a casual group of semi-hipsters. The Ramones "Beat on the Brat" was on the sound system, which I took as an omen. It's not cheap (most dishes are between $12 & $17 for smallish portions) but the Lunch Boxes are $12 to $14 and are BIG. The sake, wine and beer lists are inspired. I almost went back there again today but stopped myself and put the money into my Bathroom Renovation Fund. (Donations accepted, tax deductible.)

Rags was deeply engrossed this week in the Eliot Spitzer coverage. He learned a new term: "Eating at the Y". Apparently in Hooker Land that particular act (a man performing 'oral' on a woman) is disallowed. Rags was mystified. I say it is because it is not the duty of the hooker to be expected to either experience pleasure or (god forbid) orgasm. To do so is to cede power. No kissing, no coming and no lunch at the Y. Sorry Eliot, you'll have to go back to Silda for that. Though somehow I suspect she may not be in the mood for it right now.

I saw the most marvelous documentary on John Waters on IFC last night called "Divine Trash". It was really lovely to have Waters describe Divine as his "Liz Taylor" (which she definitely was) and amazing to see his trajectory from stoned freak pot smoking maniac to mainstream Broadway Power Player. It's just a brilliant doc, don't miss it they always show those things a million times. I myself was honored to have several phone conversations with Divine's mother Mrs. Francis Milstead. You cannot imagine a mother more proud of her son's achievements. To me that shows there is a god.

And so we come upon the anniversary of the Resurrection of the Lord Baby Jesus Our Heavenly Saviour, we will be Happy and we will Eat. Even those among us who do not believe (myself included) or who believe with reservations, or are Jewish or who never even gave it a second thought beyond the Easter Bunny, I say eating, experiencing the pleasure of Momofuku, of sake, of fresh air (though we may not remember the last time we breathed it) of the first time we saw John Waters "Multiple Maniacs", of our dogs in all their wondrousness, I say all of this is more than enough reason to Rejoice.

And to sleep late tomorrow. Because I know none of you will be at the run anyway.

Hallelujah!

Sidney & Roberta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eating at Momofuku, and Eating at the Y, both mentioned in the same blog post.
You are the master!